Having a secure network requires good habits to keep it that way. With the proper use of your computer on the network, you can prevent information from being stolen, spyware from entering and viruses from infecting your network.
While there are new threats to your network everyday, performing good security habits can prevent these from entering. Below are 5 ways to keep your network secure performing good habits.
1. Always Lock your computer when you are away from your work area. This will keep others from accessing your computer to steal and corrupt your information when you are not at it. Think of all the computers in your organization and how this could lead to many viruses and other corruption to the whole network system.
2. Identify secure sites when visiting websites for important tasks like e-commerce and banking transactions. Teach employees to identify the secure site with a padlock icon within the browser address.
3. WI-FI Security is very important. Do not share your companies WIFI password with anyone outside of your company, ever. You may think you are simply helping someone out, however no one will ever tell you that they decided to browse your network and steal another users/computers data.
4. Check security settings for functions that make for ease of use, which can leave you open for increased risk. Software and browsers have these features to add convenience. Make sure to choose settings that won’t put you at risk. Also verify that you have a firewall enabled and protecting your computer, as well as anti-virus. All of these items fine tuned assist in keeping bad people out.
5. Choose a password for your computer that is complicated enough for you to remember and others can’t figure out. Many network users have simple passwords and this should be avoided.
Having a “best security habit policy” will ensure the safety and security of your network.
Nerds in a Flash provides Computer Repair in Austin and San Antonio as well as IT Support and Managed IT Services for Businesses. We are here to help, in a flash, our namesake. Click here to Book Online or call 512-401-6373(NERD)/210-657-6373(NERD) to have your questions answered and/or to schedule a service call.